Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I Fall For MTV Marketing

If MTV U didn't come to your college, don't feel too let down.  When they came to UMass and we went down to check it out, I remembered that what was cool about MTV U (one of the eight MTV channels that was supposed to be for and about college students, not sure if it still exists as I don't have cable) was the new music segments and the old 90s videos they played and that I otherwise had nothing to associate with it.

Typical stuff.  There was a rock climbing wall, they (poorly) made us t-shirts, and we got to make shrinky-dink key chains.  Yes, folks, the people who brought you "MTV Spring Break!" with rump shaking contests and whipped cream bikini wrestling, Singled Out with tongue in cheek sexual questions, blatantly offensive (and awesome) Beavis and Butthead and the unsung and shockingly deep Daria had us fighting over colored pencils to make shrinky-dink key chains and we all totally fell for it!  It was the most popular booth in the whole field. 

It was a really nice spring day, I remember that, and I want with EB and Jess to investigate.  I think I can live on without this key chain for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment