Monday, November 7, 2011

And So It Begins

I am a woman of too much stuff.  I have moved everything I own a dozen times or so in the past ten years and the amount continues to grow. I am well aware of it being excessive, but the bulk of it is very carefully organized so I don't think I have a psychological problem, I'm just running out of space.  I have a large move across the country planned for the end of the summer and the more you move the more it costs, so the time has come to really get down to it and throw a lot of things away.

But it's just so hard.

I have worked diligently on downsizing but it doesn't come easy.  I try to do well with keeping things carefully organized and boxed and labeled.  I think this attitude comes from my mother who just might be Mary Poppins.  No matter what the situation calls for (Halloween costume, home decor or simply a well played punch line) she more often than not will say "Oh, I have that!"  She knows exactly where it is every time.  I don't know where it comes from because her home is very simple and very sparse.

 The fact that I feel the need to save things definitely comes from my dad.

So the time has come to put my foot down on all the collecting ( polite term for hording).  I've decided to rid of stuff.  So that every little thing I've felt the need to keep over the past twenty years doesn't go completely forgotten, I thought I could take a picture of it and pay homage in a few digital paragraphs so that my attachment to every whacky McDonald's toy, Special Edition Star Wars TV Guide and paper bracelet from bracelet day at the Marshfield Fair may live on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment