Tuesday, April 10, 2012

All Locked Up With No Place To Go

Every key on this keyring goes to something that no longer exists.   Keeping these was some twisted way of remembering each of them.  Let us begin.

The two black circular keys go to my old Volkswagon which I'm fairly sure we've talked about already. I drove that car for seven years.  It was so green and it always kind of smelled but it got great gas milage and had a pretty good sized trunk.  I love that little car so much.  It sang "La Cucaracha" when you left the keys in the ignition.  

The two small bronze keys, one square and one roundish, both opened the front door at Bart's Homemade in downtown Amherst.  The round key was the original, and then Tina changed the locks.  I don't remember why but I think I could come up with a number of reasons.  Being a CM (counter manager) or if you were one of the lucky few who opened the store (You had to be there before 7 AM which on college time is the middle of the night) meant you got to have a key to lock up or open the place.  It also meant that if you were downtown and stayed at the bar past last call, you could just go to Bart's to go to the bathroom.  And maybe eat chips and fountain soda (sorry, Tina).

The square black key goes to my dad's old Ford Explorer bought in 2001 that the dealership claimed didn't have the firestone recall on the tires.  I think that wasn't completely true as he had a blow out and totaled the car.  I remember I borrowed it once to pick up a drum set when I was 16 from Notre Dame Academy (all girls Catholic school) and thought I was so cool.

The silver oval key goes to my mom's nissan maxima that I learned to drive in.  It was also in a car accident, but that car was awesome.  I remember I accidentally drove it 100 miles an hour to the kingston mall listening to Radiohead's Amnesiac (sorry, Mom).

As for the little circular silver keys?  I'm pretty sure those go to a lock I lost.  I don't really know about those.  

No comments:

Post a Comment